VLAN or Virtual Local Area Network is a group of devices which are configured to communicate as if they were attached to a single wire but they are actually present on the different LAN segments. VLANs are based on the logical connections and hence they are much more flexible than the networks based on the physical connections. VLAN makes it easier for the users and improves the user experience to another level.
Generally, VLANs are divided into the following 5 types-
• Management VLAN
• Data VLAN
• Voice VLAN
• Default VLAN
• Native VLAN
If you implement VLAN the right way, it will benefit your business through simplicity, stronger security and a better experience for your users.
Below are the benefits of using VLAN-
• One of the most impressive things about virtualization is that it simplifies the management. It groups the users into same virtual networks making it easier to setup and controls your policies at a group level. When the workstations are moved physically by the users, you can keep them on the same network with different equipment. If a person changes teams but not workstations then they can easily be given access to whichever new VLANs they need.
• When you use VLANs you tend to improve the security by reducing both internal and external threats. The separation of users internally improves security and privacy by ensuring that users can only access the networks which apply to their responsibilities. If an outside attacker gains access to one VLAN they will be limited to that network by the boundaries and controls which you have in place to differentiate it from the others.
• Physical layer transparency is obtained. VLANs are transparent on the physical topology and on the media over which they are connected.
• VLAN lessens the need of having routers on a network so as to contain less broadcast traffic.
• Troubleshooting problems on the network are simpler and better when you use VLAN i.e. when different user groups are segmented and isolated from one another. When you are able to recognize that complaints are coming from a segment of users it becomes easier for you to quickly narrow down where to find the issue. Fault management becomes easier for you with the use of VLANs.
• VLAN has the ability to manage the traffic much more efficiently so that the end users can experience much better performance. With the use of VLAN, you will have fewer latency problems on your network and more reliability for critical applications. VLANs also prioritize the traffic and also make sure that critical application data keeps flowing even when here is lower priority traffic like the web browsing spikes.
If you are thinking of implementing this useful technology from sopto.com then you should understand the amazing benefits it provides. There are various VLAN ranges that you must select on the basis of the purpose. There are a plethora of benefits of VLAN over the normal networks.